Moving Home Tips
Moving house is often considered an overwhelming chore. But with careful planning and preparation, the task can become surprisingly straightforward and stress-free. Here are useful tips that we as a team have come up with, drawing on our many years of experience in this industry. Hopefully, this list makes your transition as smooth as possible!
- Label each box with the room it belongs to and its content. A more efficient way is to use “Colour Coordination”. Designate a colour for each room, such as yellow for kitchen, blue for bedroom, etc. Apply coloured stickers on the box near the box number. And in your new home, put a matching sticker on the door to each room. The movers will know where to put everything when they arrive at the destination.
- Keep valuables and essential items with you. It is important to set aside and pack separately your essential items, important documents and valuables and keep them safely with you at all times. Not only will this prevents misunderstanding should things go missing, but you will be able to relax and leave your unpacking for another day after a hard day of moving.
- After cleaning your refrigerator, allow the door to remain open for a while to decrease the humidity in the appliance. For washing machine, drain any water and disconnect hoses. Filling the washing machine with soft toys and light linen will prevent excessive movement. Make sure the lids are taped shut when moving.
- When packing, use sturdy boxes and use tape to fasten the bottom. Fold the boxes in a criss-cross way for the strongest and most secure base. Pad the bottom of the boxes with newspaper, bath towels or linen. You should place heavier items on bottom and lighter items on top. Do not try to exceed 20kg in each packed box. Pack boxes tightly to avoid shifting.
- Breakables and fragile items need plenty of protection and should be packed with extra care in their own compartmentalized boxes. About a third of box should be cushioning. Wrap all pieces separately in paper, and pack plates on their side. Fill any gaps with scrunched up paper to prevent movement.
- When packing electronics, you should always use antistatic bubbles or popcorn. Never use materials that will conduct electricity and this might damage your electronics during moving. After packing, mark the box with “Fragile” and indicate which end is up.
- Do not pack large cartons full of books, but use the small purpose-made boxes. If you have to use large cartons for books, use no more than half the box and put the books at the bottom.
- When packing food items and liquid, always make sure they are in sealed containers only.
- For sharp objects such as knives, scissors, blades, etc., place them in plastic containers or tins, and cover the sharp edges with foam or cardboard.
- Drain all fluids from power and yard tools so they will not leak. Dispose of all corrosive and volatile chemicals such as fuel and oils, antifreeze and flammable liquids.
- Once you vacate your property, any fixtures or items left behind become the property of the new owner. Remember to make an extra “final check”.